Skip to main content

Famous Last Panel

Last week I picked up Amazing Spider-Man #42. It isn't in perfect condition but it is all one in piece and still readable. Cost me under $16 and I could care less about near mint condition when it comes to silver age Spidey.

In this issue, the main story involves John Jameson getting super powers and taking on Spider-Man. Now as much as I love a good old fashioned slug fest, that isn't really the reason I picked up this issue. In fact, ASM #42 is largely remembered for its very final panel. A certain redhead, who Peter had been dreading a date with finally enters his world. That's right, I'm talking about Mary Jane Watson.

The girl that would nickname Peter "Tiger" was first mentioned in ASM #15. Her name was first dropped in ASM# 17 and in ASM #25, Liz Allen and Betty Brant get a look at little miss bombshell while Peter is off fighting the first incarnation of the Spider Slayers. Her face isn't show to the readers but what Liz and Betty see is enough to make their jaws drop.

Peter did everything he could to avoid meeting MJ. Aunt May meant well, but when your mother or aunt tries to set you up on a blind date, an imagine similar to the atomic bomb being dropped is more than likely what goes off in a guy's head. Peter was ready for the worst but as it turns out, having Peter meet MJ was the best thing aunt May ever did for her nephew. The following panel is one of the most famous in comic book history as is MJ's very first words towards Peter.
This panel has been replicated God only knows how many times. Sketched, painted, you name it, it has been done. MJ didn't just turn out to be another girl for Peter. She was the girl. Peter would later go on to marry her... right? He did marry MJ, didn't he? I mean, I've got the annual where Peter and MJ tied the knot and everything. Eh, its a long story.

My favorite redhead has taken a lot of crap and her marriage to my favorite super hero has been blamed for hurting the Spider books. I'm not sure Marvel fully realizes Mary Jane's impact and staying power in the Spidey books. Every attempt to writer her out has failed and I highly doubt any other love interest they throw in there will work. MJ is to the Spider books what Lois Lane is to Superman books. Marvel will never be rid of her no matter how hard they try.

Comments

Tommy said…
All of which is why the sooner you find Spider-Girl #10 - 11, the better!

Heck, they both still need a review as it is.

A brief bit of info. for ya...

It involves Mayday going to the past, but not necessarily the past of the MC2 reality. A character named Spyral is from a different reality, and his dialogue indicates he is from the Prime reality, but from the future of it.

Anyhoo, the past point she and Spyral land in is when the 1st Spider-Slayer appeared...and she meets a certain someone (well several someones).
Those will probably be some pretty tough issues to find. Since new comics come in tomorrow, I'll be picking up more Spider-Girl.
It was fun to see John Jameson evolve because of the spores, how his old man reacted and how John's motive to catch Spider-Man changed in a way that scared his father.

I love that Spider-Girl arc you talked about Tommy

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...