Skip to main content

Justice League: Doom

Watching DVDs on the computer is nice but sometimes it's better to watch them on TV. So after some thinking, I decided to get myself a new DVD player. This one is by Sony and it only set me back $40. Why didn't I get a Blu-Ray player? Because I'm not 100% sold on them. Besides, I hear the PS3 is a good Blu-Ray player as opposed to the PS2's DVD playback functionality, which was crap. When I get a PS3, I'll have Blu-Ray, so I can wait. And yet, when I bought my new DVD player, I picked up my first Blu-Ray movie. Well it came with Blu-Ray and DVD.

Justice League: Doom is the latest DC Universe animated film. How prepared is Batman? Prepared to take down his own teammates, if it becomes necessary. Based off the Justice League of America: Tower of Babel story written by Mark Waid, JL: Doom explores Batman's paranoid nature. Batman has taken measures to stop each member of the Justice League should they ever go rouge or sub-come to mind control from outside forces. These plans are kept hidden in the Batcave via Batman's computer. Under the guidance of Vandal Savage, the Legion of Doom puts Batman's plans into action, nearly killing each member of the Justice League, including Batman himself after a close call with Bane.

The possibility of heroes going rouge or turning against humanity isn't anything new. Superman: The Animated series played it up in a huge way on the two part series finale in Legacy when Darkseid brainwashed Superman into attacking Earth. This was concept was explored even further in the first Cadmus story arc in the first two seasons of Justice League Unlimited. Super heroes usually have fight the good fight, but it never hurts to be prepared. In comic books alone, how many times has Superman been mind controlled? I love Big Blue as much as the next guy, but you cannot tell me you don't wanna have some sorta fail-safe in the event of the most powerful being on the planet turns traitor. Now imagine him and the rest of the Justice League going berserk. Not a pretty picture.

Without giving too much of the feature away, I have to say it's quiet good. Maybe not as good as say Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, but this is still a solid purchase. The animation is nice and the fights are stylish. The voice casting is topnotch. Kevin Conroy reprises his role as Batman, Tim Daly is once again Superman, Susan Eisenberg is Wonder Woman Carl Lumby is Martian Manhunter and Michael Rosenbaum is the Flash. It's almost an entire DCAU Justice League reunion. As good as Tim Daly's work was on Superman: The Animated Series and later DC Animated films, I honestly think he's done his best work here. I almost wasn't sure if Michael Rosenbaum was Flash since it's different from his DCAU Flash. Perhaps it was due to the Flash being Barry Allen instead of Wally West. The music was also good with my favorite theme being he title music, which is an arrangement of opening title from Crisis on Two Earths. Major bonus points for that.

Justice League Doom was the last work written by Dwayne McDuffie before he passed away last year. Seeing this movie makes me wish he was still with us.

Comments

Major Mack said…
They need to keep coming with these DVDs
I finally saw it, I will admit it's my favorite Justice League film

It's nice to bring the voices of Superman, Batman and Bane from the 90s shows

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...