Skip to main content

Finally

I'm late to post about this, but that's because I didn't hear about it until today. We will see the releases of two long awaited DVD series. Both Freakazoid! and Tiny Toony Adventures will see season one box set releases on July 29th, 2008. Well that certainly took long enough.

I've only seen a handful of episodes from Freakazoid! and though I can vaguely recall what they were about, I do remember that the show was downright hilarious. I'm also aware of the fan following that the show has so I'm sure Freak fans everywhere are pretty stoked for this release.

And what child from the '90s doesn't remember Tiny Toon Adventures? Even when I was a kid I knew the little tykes running around in Tiny Toons were just small versions of the Loony Toons characters. Really, was anyone bothered by this? Didn't think so. Well, Ren & Stimpy show creator John Kricfalusi had some nasty things to say about it, but it isn't like people really gave a rat's butt what he thought. The writing was way ahead of the times and the show hand countless laugh out loud moments. As much as I loved the show as a kid, some of the jokes went over my head because, well, I was a kid, and as a kid, you're oblivious to a lot of things.

Paul Dini, widely known for the excellent work he's done in Batman: The Animated series and other DCAU cartoons worked on both Freakazoid! and Tiny Toon Adventures. Paul and Bruce Timm rank up there with Greg Weisman as some of my favorite writers and story tellers and its great that two of the best series they've worked on are finally getting DVD releases.

Now I have to ask, will we ever see Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures or Megas XLR come to DVD? I mean if Freakazoid! is finally getting released I can hope, right?

Comments

Freakazoid is freaking awsowem, excellent
Tommy said…
I didn't get to see much of Freakazoid myself, but I do know someone that watched it back in the day. I'll have to refer him to this blog post.
Dru Tan said…
Hey, you ever read Mike Allred's Madman comics? The people who made Freakazoid stole some of his ideas when they made the show. But Allred was too nice of a guy and didn't resort to litigation.

I love Madman. And Allred.
I couldn't think of who it was Freakazoid reminded me of. Madman. I've been thinking about checking out those comics.

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...