Skip to main content

No More Big Events, Please

Every year DC and Marvel come out with some colossal, world-shattering event to shake things up in each company's fictional universe. I haven't really been into DC's events but I did follow Marvel's over the last few years. I was there for House of M, Civil War, and World War Hulk. This year Marvel's big event is Secret Invasion. DC's is Final Crisis. Brian Bendis is handling Secret Invasion while Grant Morrison is doing Final Crisis. Despite the fact that both men are award winning writers, I just don't care. I've had it with big events in comics.

My lack of interest in huge events probably stems from the having following three years of Marvel events. I admit that I did enjoy House of M, though I think I can see why the words "No more mutants" would peeve quiet a bit of fans of the X-books.

Civil War as another one I got a kick out of. In all honesty, I do believe that if we had super heroes in our own world, they probably wouldn't be allowed to run around like lose canons. Yeah, the conclusion of Civil War may have sucked, but it was nice to see the super hero community split right down the middle and the aftermath of this event can still be felt and seen in the comics to this day.

World War Hulk was basically and old-fashioned super hero brawl, but the Hulk lost sympathy points from me when his actions made him out to be a villain after the third or fourth issue. Marvel EIC, Joe Q also said WWH was going to "rival Civil War in impact." I was skeptical of this at the time I'd read those words and upon seeing the results, I know now that Joe Q was talking out of his butt, hyping up the company's big event. Rick Jones was left in critical condition at the story's end and there was a lot of damage done to New York (just another typical day there), but near as I can tell WWH has done little to shake up the Marvel world the way the previous events did.

With Secret Invasion everyone will be playing the guessing game to find out who is a Skrull. Lately the little aliens have been popping up all over, strutting around like they own the place. If Black Bolt and Elektra turned out to be Skrulls who else could be walking among the Avengers, X-men, Fantastic Four pretending to be an ally when they've really been plotting against them all along? It actually isn't a bad concept, but it's also grounds for the biggest retcon device ever, which could lead to some of the stupidest story-telling and explanations this side of One More Day. I've seen the checklist for tie-ins for this event and if you want to know everything that's going on, you'd better be prepared to shell out when this event kicks off.

Final Crisis. You know what happened the last time DC had a Crisis? Some villain got a nasty case of PMS, punched reality and Jason Todd got resurrected. Oh yeah, and some other stuff got screwed up. Think about that for a moment: Superboy Prime punched reality and dead people come back. To paraphrase one of my fellow forumites at the shorkyuken.com forums, "He gave that girl a black eye."

To be fair, I've never read Infinite Crisis but I've heard enough that I have no interest in reading it. The same goes for 52. I've heard enough to get headaches when people talk about the convoluted things that have taken place in these events. This really is the type of thing that has kept me from getting into a lot of DC books. It doesn't help DC's case much when the company feels the need to drop event bombs on an almost weekly basis.

I don't mind mind-blowing events from time-to-time but this once a year thing has really gotten stale. Does a comic company's entire universal foundation have to be shaken each year in the attempt to tell a good story, or fix things that some may have felt were wrecked? I don't think so, but then, I'm not the big wig behind a huge comic company so what do I know? Oh and if you think this is DC's "Final" Crisis... PAHAHAAHAHAAHHAAAAHAAA!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Hero Secret IDs & Their Friends

I've always felt Clark Kent has had one of the poorest disguises of all time for a secret Identity. All he does is straight up his "S" curl so it isn't visible and put on some glasses. Well, also depending on the era, Clark is either goes out of his way to be a bumbling idiot so people don't suspect he's an alien from another world, or here's the non-clumsy modern version. Personally, I like both, but if Lois is indeed a star reporter then she'd have to see through that disguise. Let's be realistic here. No one is that clumsy unless they are trying to be. I actually read a post on a message board that Lois finding out that Clark was Superman takes away from the whole dynamic. Seriously? The dynamic of making Lois look like a complete idiot who is unable to see what is right in front of her? I didn't miss that one bit. In fact, one of the few problems I had with Superman The Animated Series is that Warner Brothers didn't allow the creators t

Hooray for Reprints!

The Green Goblin has often been touted as Spider-Man's deadliest foe. He is what the Joker is to Batman. I wonder if Stan knew back when Gobby first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #14 that the Goblin would become the menace that he is to Spidey today. What makes the Goblin such an interesting foe isn't the costume. No. Much like Spider-Man, Gobby is such a great villain because the man underneath the suit is fascinating. Norman Osborn is one effed up dude to say the least. He was so annoyed with Spider Man getting in his way that he the battle between the two of them personal. He discovered Spidey's secret ID, revealed his own identity to the wall-crawler and would later go on to make Spidey's life a living nightmare. Gobby not only screws up Spidey's life, he screws up the lives of those Spidey cares about like Flash Thompson or if your name is Gwen Stacy, thinks ain't lookin' too good for you. I've read every early Spidey/Gobby story except one and it

Marvel Wants to Hear From YOU!

In the letter page of Amazing Spider-Man #565, Spidey editor Steve Wacker filled the page with nothing but negative letters from readers that hate Brand New Day. Who says Marvel doesn't listen to the fans? And what's more, Mr. Wacker has even asked us to write in and tell them how we feel. Can you believe that? It takes class to run nothing but angry letters and a couple of those to the right are pretty nasty. My mother actually suggested I write to the editor and state my feelings on the molestation of Spider-Man in ASM. I'd been meaning to write them, but I just never sat down to do so. With the editor of the Spidey books kindly saying that the letter's page is "the place to vent," I think the time has finally come for me to express myself. I don't know if it will get printed since I've stopped reading ASM, but if they take my letter and many others that are outraged by BND to heart, then that's all that matters. Dear ASM Staff, Do you know what