Skip to main content

I Dream of Writing

My father told me almost ten years ago that I was really good at writing. At the time, it was something I'd never thought about making a living out of. Like most teenagers, I probably wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life at that point. What my father had said really stuck with me so I continued to write, but from that day on, I'd always have the thought in mind of writing for a living.

So here I am, going on 27 years old and what do I have to show for my dreams of writing? Sadly, not too much. Of course I acknowledge that it's also my own fault for slacking off (hey, I'm a human being, I get lazy. It's part of what we do.) But it hasn't been a total waste. I did write for a few fan sites over the years and I've improved my writing a lot. When I look at the stuff I write now compared to what I wrote years ago, I can't help but smile like a big flippin' idiot.

What I want to write about has also changed. Originally, I just wanted to write about the video game industry but I took interest in other things over the last year. I'm in the middle of a fan-fiction love story (yeah, I like fan-fics, sue me.) I've done some plotting for a super hero parody story that I've yet to finish, and thanks to the guys at spiderfan.org I've take an interest in writing comic book reviews and editorials about Spider-Man related things. If someone told me my writing interests would branch out this much years ago, I probably wouldn't have believed them.

I know the profession I've chosen is not an easy one to break into. This is something a lot of people shoot for. Imagine my surprise when I found out that at least four of my co-workers also enjoy writing. In a world where so many people say you should go into work with computers (no offense to all you computer junkies), it really is nice to see that there are others out there who share my particular interests.

The road to breaking into writing probably won't be easy, but hey, what worth having is easily obtained? Maybe one day, you'll be reading about a Spider-Man story I've been thinking about putting in the comics or about the crazy exploits of my own creation, Powerful Man. Like someone wise once said, if you want something bad enough, you will get it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...