Skip to main content

Spider-Man is Spectacular!!

The Spectacular Spider-Man premiered on Kids WB today at 10 AM. I caught about 6 minutes of the first episode where Spidey tangled with the Vulture and the Enforcers. I watched all of the second episode where the web-head had his first encounter with Electro. What do I think of this new Spidey cartoon? I love it! But you probably already knew that by the title of this blog entry.

The animation is nice and fluid, light years ahead of the '90s Fox Spider-Man cartoon series. Among some of my favorite scenes were when Spidey was battling villains (Vulture, Electro, Enforcers, take your pick) and web-slinging around New York. These scenes were quiet spectacular and yes that pun was intended.

Peter's interactions with his class mates were also well-done. I particularly like him walking out on Liz to fight Electro because she was ignoring his attempts to tutor her. Get this, I actually like the Gwen in this series. She isn't like the Gwen from the '60s-'70s era comics, which doesn't bother me in the least. Despite the fact that Peter is friends with Harry Osborn, Gwen seems to be Peter's best friend and you could see her getting jealous when she saw Peter tutoring Liz. Back to Liz, she may seem like a shallow cheerleader at first, but by the end of the second episode, she already begins to develop some feelings for Peter. The series has just begun and already two girls like Peter. Bring on Mary Jane!

My mother also watched the premier and she noted that Spidey looks skinny. I told her that in the early stories from the '60s, Spidey didn't have the muscled out physic he has today. I'm not sure if the character designers were taking their cue from early Steve Ditko Spidey tales or from the Ultimate Spider-Man line, but I think they made the right choice by not making a teenage Spidey ripped.

Spectacular Spidey also has some topnotch voice talent on board. Josh Keaton is someone until now, I was not aware of, but after hearing him voice Spidey/Peter Parker, I'd say he's perfect for the roll. The Vulture sounded every bit as good as his black and red costume looked. I had no idea the man playing his voice was none other than Robert Englund. For the uninitiated, he played Freddy Krueger in the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. I instantly recognized Electro's voice as Crispin Freeman, a man with a huge list of anime credits to his name. I can't wait until the Chameleon (voiced by Steven Blum) and Captain Stacy (voiced by Clancy Brown) make their appearances!

So there you have it! I'm already digging this new Spider-Man cartoon and it just started. For the first time in a long time, I have a reason to turn on the TV at 10 AM. Excelsior!

Comments

Tommy said…
Yeah, I've heard Crispin's voice in sCRYed (Straight Cougar), Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome (Overlord Zetta), Tales of Symphonia (Regal), Digital Devil Saga (Heat), and Xenosaga (Albedo)!


I'd heard him for years, but I had not connected the voice to a name until this show came out.

Some great stuff Crispin does indeed! :)

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...