Skip to main content

Getting Your Spidey Fix

Disgusted with the events of One More Day and not feeling "the new status quo" of Brand New Day? Join the club! That guy who struck a deal with the devil in Amazing Spider-Man #545 must have been a Skrull because there's no way the Peter I know would do something like that. Despite ASM being turned into a sub-par book, Spidey is still my favorite super hero and I'm not going to drop the wall-crawler completely. If you want a Spider-Man fix, there are plenty of other options outside of ASM.

Ultimate Spider-Man

Reading about the adventures of an adult Spidey is (well, it was at one point) great and all but there's a lot to like about the Ultimate version of the web-head. Peter isn't as squeeky clean as his 616 counterpart but he's still a likable guy who always tries to do the right thing. I really enjoyed the Ultimate versions of the Green Goblin and the Hobgoblin and while I'm sad to see them go, I'm looking forward to the other foes Spidey will face. Like any other comic book, some stories are better than others but for the most part, I've found USM to pretty solid.

Marvel Adventures Spider-Man

I'm guessing this was Marvel's attempt to bring in new reads for Spider-Man. Kinda makes you wonder why they even bothered to screw with the natural order of things in the current Amazing Spider-Man titles. But I digress. MASM is similiar to USM but it leans towards the elements of 616 Spider-Man. Most stories wrap up in a single issue and are light hearted, entertaining reads, which will appeal to those that miss these type of tales in a day where many writers feel they have to blow us away with mind-shattering events. Unlike the Marvel Age line, which reimaged the classic Lee/Ditko stories, these are all new adentures. The issues are in the 30s right now but if you want to start at the begining you can pick up the digest books. Volumes 1-8 are already avialable.

Spider-Man Family

What started as a one-shoot magazine has now become an on-going book. SMF is over 100 pages long, features two brand new Spidey stories in each book and repints some old classics and some stories that are not-so-classic. I say that not every reprint is a classic because SMF #7 has Venom: Lethal Protect #1. On the major plus side, it also has Spider-Man: Death & Destiny #1 in there. The newer stories in SMF tend to be on the sunny side. SMF #6 paid homage to a classic Thor story in which goldylocks was turned into a Frog. Then you've got stories that hit a serious note like SMF #5. The clonclusion of a Spidey/Dr. Strange team-up divluges that a friend of Morbuis is dying and the vampire was willing to do whatever it took to save him, even endangering the lives of others. The resolution to this is akin to the way One More Day should have ended. Anyway, each issue of SMF is thick so there's a lot ot read and most of it is good.

Trade Paper Backs & Digital

Over the last month or so, I've been reading a lot of Spidey TPBs. I missed the begining of J. Michael Straczynski's run on ASM so I picked up ASM: Coming Home, which was a freaking awesome read. I also bought Spectacular Spider-Man: Countdown, a five part Spidey/Doc Ock story, which is unlike any other story that features Doc Ock and kept my interest from start to finish. What I'm getting at is, if you haven't already done so, now is an excellent time to catch up on Spidey stories of the past you may have missed. For as many years as I've been a fan of the web-head, there are still a plethora of great stories I've yet to read. The line of Essential books has always been one of my favorites. The earlier Spidey stories are still among some of my fav and since Brand New Day is basically ripping off older Spider-Man tales, why not just read the originals?

You can also get the Spidey in disc form. The Amazing Spider-Man Collection has over 560 comics in it. It has ASM comics from 1963-2006 and all the ASM annuals. Just make sure you get the ASM Collection and not 40 years of Amazing Spider-Man. 40 Years of ASM doesn't have the annuals.

Bargin Bins

I went to my comic shop a few weeks ago and looked through the $1 bargin boxes. I found Spider-Man/Human Torch #1, Spider-Man/Human Torch #3, Untold Tales of Spider-Man #4, and Spider-Man: Blue #6. Take some time out to go through the bins, you never know what you may find. I was recommended Dan Slott's Spidey/Human Torch mini series by some of my pals on the net and I was miffed that I saw all but the first issue. Imagine my surprise when I saw Spidey/Human Torch #1. I just saved myself time and money from buying the trade.

The Amazing Spider-Girl

This book casts the spot light on Peter and Mary Jane's daughter in an alternate universe. She's got all the teenage hangups you'd expect from a girl who tries to juggle a normal life along side being a super hero. If you need another reason to start reading this book it is written by Tom DeFalco, a man who is more than capable of writing a character in the spider family since he's had two distinct runs on Amazing Spider-Man. The artwork is by Ron Frenz, who worked with DeFalco on his first ASM run.

Spider-Man will be a character I continue to read about despite the fact that I don't much care for what Marvel has done to him in the pages of ASM. I may end up rereading stories I've read in the past. I might find great stories from the past I never knew about. No matter what happens, I'll still be reading about Spidey even it isn't in the pages of the flagship book. I encourage all other fans out there that don't like the Marvel's editorial decision to do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Hero Secret IDs & Their Friends

I've always felt Clark Kent has had one of the poorest disguises of all time for a secret Identity. All he does is straight up his "S" curl so it isn't visible and put on some glasses. Well, also depending on the era, Clark is either goes out of his way to be a bumbling idiot so people don't suspect he's an alien from another world, or here's the non-clumsy modern version. Personally, I like both, but if Lois is indeed a star reporter then she'd have to see through that disguise. Let's be realistic here. No one is that clumsy unless they are trying to be. I actually read a post on a message board that Lois finding out that Clark was Superman takes away from the whole dynamic. Seriously? The dynamic of making Lois look like a complete idiot who is unable to see what is right in front of her? I didn't miss that one bit. In fact, one of the few problems I had with Superman The Animated Series is that Warner Brothers didn't allow the creators t

Hooray for Reprints!

The Green Goblin has often been touted as Spider-Man's deadliest foe. He is what the Joker is to Batman. I wonder if Stan knew back when Gobby first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #14 that the Goblin would become the menace that he is to Spidey today. What makes the Goblin such an interesting foe isn't the costume. No. Much like Spider-Man, Gobby is such a great villain because the man underneath the suit is fascinating. Norman Osborn is one effed up dude to say the least. He was so annoyed with Spider Man getting in his way that he the battle between the two of them personal. He discovered Spidey's secret ID, revealed his own identity to the wall-crawler and would later go on to make Spidey's life a living nightmare. Gobby not only screws up Spidey's life, he screws up the lives of those Spidey cares about like Flash Thompson or if your name is Gwen Stacy, thinks ain't lookin' too good for you. I've read every early Spidey/Gobby story except one and it

Marvel Wants to Hear From YOU!

In the letter page of Amazing Spider-Man #565, Spidey editor Steve Wacker filled the page with nothing but negative letters from readers that hate Brand New Day. Who says Marvel doesn't listen to the fans? And what's more, Mr. Wacker has even asked us to write in and tell them how we feel. Can you believe that? It takes class to run nothing but angry letters and a couple of those to the right are pretty nasty. My mother actually suggested I write to the editor and state my feelings on the molestation of Spider-Man in ASM. I'd been meaning to write them, but I just never sat down to do so. With the editor of the Spidey books kindly saying that the letter's page is "the place to vent," I think the time has finally come for me to express myself. I don't know if it will get printed since I've stopped reading ASM, but if they take my letter and many others that are outraged by BND to heart, then that's all that matters. Dear ASM Staff, Do you know what