Skip to main content

Thrill of the Hunt

Sunday evening, through the wonderful powers of the internet, I caught episode 15 of the Spectacular Spider-Man. Titled "Destructive Testing," here we are introduced to one of Spidey's oldest, yet less appreciated villains, Sergei Kravenoff. Kravenoff possesses enough speed and strength to bring down a rampaging rhino in the wild. But he's tired of easy hunts. He craves a challenge that is worthy of his skill. Calypso gets word from an annonomus friend in America about prey that Kravenoff may find inteteresting. A certain friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

Kravenoff's first battle with Spider-Man proves to be a lesson in humilty for the hunter. While he is trhilled to be hunting a worthy prey, his defeat isn't something he takes lightly. Believing Spidey's powers are the only reason he won against him, Kravenoff inlists the aid of Miles Warren to give him the powers of the same animals he hunted in the jungle and this is where the the big kicker comes in.

In the comics, Kraven has always possessed speed and strength beyond normal men. He gained his powers by drinking rare jungle elixers, yet he still retained the look of a human being. Well in this episode, after taking a formula from Warren he turns into what looks like a human-lion creature and takes on the name Kraven the Hunter. He doesn't turn into a physcho but it's a seriously big change, one I'm still not feeling yet. I mean, Kraven is still likable, but it will take some getting used to. And even with the power upgrade, Kraven still got beat. With the score Spidey 2, Kraven 0, the Master Planner (who was Kraven's annonomus friend) asks Kraven how he feels about "hunting in packs." That's two villains Spidey has yet to apprehend this season so it looks like Kraven and Mysterio are gonna be members of the Sinister Six.

What about Spidey's life outside of the suit? Well, Peter's wondering if he should go for Gwen or Liz. Both girls are into him, but Liz is far more aggressive when it comes to getting a guy. She thanks Peter for tutuoring her to help her pass her final in bio by giving him a hug AND a kiss and right in front of Gwen, no less. I think Liz is communicating to Gwen through her actions and she's saying "BACK OFF!"

In this episode we are also unexpectidily introduced to Debra Wittman! She was given an ethnic change, which doesn't bother me. I suspect this was done to keep her from looking similar to Gwen. Already got one blonde with glasses in the lab at ESU. Deb is the lab assistant of Miles Warren and even though she was only on screen for a very brief moment, she came across as cold as ice. More on her character will be revaled, I'm sure.

Flash suffered a knee injury during a football game, causing Liz some conflict with her newfound feelings for Peter. Even Peter was concerned about Flash. Matter of fact, he even cheered for Flash during the game. Could this be the beginning of Peter and Flash becoming friends? I hope so. No other medium outside of the comics has portrayed these two as pals.

Overall, I liked "Blueprints" better than this episode, but this was still a fine second episode to season two. Miles Warren is one skeaky, manipulating man and I really want to see what else he does this season. Bring on the Master Planner, the return of Venom and the gang war!

Comments

Tommy said…
It sounds like Warren may end up being an actual humanoid jackal like he was during the 90's Clone Saga if this episode is an indication.
Warren is one smooth operator. I had my suspicions about him when I saw him in the first episode, but I had no idea he'd go this far.

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...