Skip to main content

Barack Obama, President of the United States of America

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Yesterday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The quote above is from one of the most well-known speeches ever give, King's "I Have a Dream" speech. If he were alive today, I've no doubt that he'd be blushing with pride to see our nation's 44th president happens to be African America.

I missed seeing Obama be sworn in on live TV, but thanks to the net, I was able to watch his inauguration speech, and what a speech it was. Before he gave it, the crowd was chanting "Go Barack!" (I thought they were saying "No More Bush!"). Speaking of the crowed, the turn out was huge! I don't really watch inauguration's but I wanted to catch this one because it was so highly anticipated. I think it was Oprah who said you could practically feel the nation teeming with delight over Obama's swearing in.

The president gave an incredible speech, but he didn't beat around the bush. He was upfront. America is facing the biggest crisis it has ever faced in decades. The econmy is in the toilet, the job market is in shambles, and the people of America are stuggling just to get by. The gist of it, we've got a tough battle ahead of us.

That being said, Obama's words were inspiring, filling the people with hope and determination, something we will all need to make it through this nightmare that we are currently living. This is the guy I wanted to win the presidency, because honestly, I believe he can do the job. I'm not saying things are gonna be bright and sunny now that Obama is the president because nothing is ever that simple and in he echoed that in his own speech. But it isn't like America to just keel over and die. If the nation did that, we never would have survived the Great Depression or won World War II. If we keep fighting and don't give up, we will make it.

So here's to a new beginning with Barack Obama. As I watched George W. Bush leave the White
House, I could only think, "Thank you, Lord!"

Comments

Mercy upon your sir Dr. King

43rd? Why'd the news say he's 44th?
I was actually confused between him being either our 43rd or 44th president. Some say 43rd because someone was ellected what, 3 times?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States
44 guys. Maybe Ford is not counted because he replaced Nixon after resigning and only lasted for that time
Ah, thanks for the info. I'll make the edit to this blog entry.
Tommy said…
Dr. King was likely there in spirit, I'd like to think. :)

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...