Skip to main content

11-4-08: History in the Making

Yesterday, I witnessed history being made as I'm sure many other people did. Even with a lot of people voting early, the lines for voting yesterday were huge. By far the 2008 presidential election has had the biggest voter turnout. Ever. Many people voted for the first time. When the final verdict came in, it was announced that Senator Barack Obama would be the next president of the United States of America. We now have our first African American president.

As an African American myself, I take great pride in this victory. It's hard not to be excited about it. I didn't vote for this year but I will say if I had voted, I would have voted for Obama but not because he's black. That's got nothing to do with it. I don't know a great deal about politics. In fact, I'm not democrat or republican. I'm for whoever I feel will do the best job. And my gut tells me Obama is the man for the job. And this is a vicotory for everyone. Yes, blacks are excited that he won, but as the man said, "this victory belongs to you." People from all walks of life and races voted for Obama. So I think everyone has reason to leap for joy.

As already mentioned, I saw the victory speech live and it was a pretty good speech. I don't get to see this kinda thing happen very often so it was pretty sweet. McCain took his loss pretty well and I applaud him for doing so.

Now whatever side of the fence you're on, I urge all of you to wish our future president the best. I was taught to pray for the leaders of America even if you did not vote for them. As Obama said in his speech, we are all one. We're in this thing together. We fall and rise as a nation. Like McCain said, we are not quiters. We will keep on fighting. We are unified and that's why we are the United States of America, the greatest country in the world.

Comments

Tommy said…
This is pretty sweet! Now to see what the future holds for us all. :)
I'm hoping it's something good. =)
So you should be congratulated as well Reg, I thought the picture published in "We're all nerds" is your's.

It's amusing that 'White' is the last name for black people & 'Brown' is the last name for white people:D.

After 9 days without the internet it's great to be back, I really missed you guys:)
Welcome back, Spidey fan.

I myself think it's kinda funny that my last name is "White" and I am in fact a black guy. Gotta love irony.
Tommy said…
9 days without Internet?! Blarg!!

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...