Skip to main content

My First Spider-Girl Trade

A few weeks ago, I picked up my very first Spider-Girl trade. It was vol. 2 of the first Spider-Girl series in digest form, Like Father, Like Daughter. I missed out on a lot of the first Spider-Girl series so I'm playing catch up.

This book collects Spider-Girl #6-11. Peter doesn't like the idea of Mayday being Spider-Girl so he's taken away her costume and her web-shooters. However, May is still active as her alter ego and it isn't until he sees (and helps) her take action against Crazy Eight and Mr. Nobody that he realizes that his offspring just can't help but follow in his footsteps.

Reading this book introduced me to the aforementioned villains as well as Killer Wat and Spyral. From what I've heard, Mayday has what may arguably be an ever bigger rogue's gallery than her dad. Speaking of daddy, it was great to see him fight alongside Spider-Girl in SG #8. Nice to know he can still rock fools even if he isn't in his prime anymore.

My favorite story in this digest was the two parter in SG #10-11. Spider-Girl takes a trip to the past with Spyral. They end up in the time period where Spider-Man fought the first Spider-Slayer. For you Spidey fans with you geek caps on, this story takes place in the events of Amazing Spider-Man #25. So Mayday got to meet her dad as a teen and see what he was like as Spidey back then. Mayday also got to meet aunt May and her future mother, Mary Jane.

All told, I was pretty impressed with my first SG trade. Now to order the rest of the books and see what else I missed.

Comments

Tommy said…
You're catching up on the early stuff, and I've got to catch up on the modern stuff.
Modern Spider-Girl or modern 666 Spidey?
It's Earth616, not 666.
What's with the numbering system for the realms of Marvel?
On what base do they number?
You talked about SG so it's most likely he speaks about SG
Tommy said…
Yeah, Spider-Girl.

And with the numbering, I think I read it was supposed to be Earth 666, but it ended up being 616 for some reason.

The numbering system I guess is a way of keeping track of all the alternate realities outside of the Prime reality. Every what-if is on Earth-(insert number here) and so on. There's a Marvel Appendix companion website that lists some of them.
You guys haven't heard of the 666 joke going around? It came about when Spidey made a deal with Mephisto.

Fun fact: Joe Q doesn't like readers referring to the regular Marvel world as 616. Something about those numbers referring to the devil and such.
Tommy said…
XD

Thanks for making me aware of it, Reg. So obvious. *Slaps forehead!*
rjsodaro said…
Hey guys, I’ve been a big fan of Spider-Girl for quite some time. I not only managed to get a letter of mine published (which earned me my third No-Prize), but got the chance to chat up Tom DeFalco, and tell him how much I loved the series.

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...