Skip to main content

Attack of the Lizard

Some people have chosen to wait for the season one DVD set release for the Spectacular Spider-Man's first season. This is understandable. I haven't bought a DVD that wasn't a full season in years as it feels like a bit of a rip off when you only get 3 episodes on most DVD releases (a lot of anime is guilty of this). But I just couldn't help myself. I was in serious need of my Spectacular Spider-Man fix. This cartoon has been one of the best things to happen with the wall-crawler and since I work on Saturdays, I haven't been able to watch it.

I'll get the extras outta the way first. If you're expecting loads of extras, don't pick up this DVD because said extras are pretty bare bones. I picked this up for the episodes. Go in with that mindset and you should be satisfied.

The 3 episodes on this disc, which include Spidey's first encounter with the Enforcers, the Vulture, Electro, and the Lizard, have all been fused into one 70 minute movie. The opening credits are done in an entirely new way from the intro that we've grown to love.

Since this is a DVD, the picture quality is naturally better than what we see on Saturday mornings. I knew things had been cut for time and S&P (standards & practices) reasons but it wasn't until I actually watched the DVD that I realized just how much had been cut. Now most stuff that was cut only takes up a second or two worth of footage, but when you get down to it, a lot of stuff was cut. I could tell when I was seeing new footage because I watched the first two episodes religiously when the first aired back in March (YouTube for the win). A cop actually shot at the lizard and it looked and sounded like actual gun fire. The famous half mask appears in the episode where teh Lizard first appears. I could go into more details, but most things that were cut pertained to the action.

On the whole. I dug this DVD even though it only had the first 3 episodes. Yes, I'll be picking up the next one, Rise of the Super Villains and I'll eventually get the season one DVD whenever it releases. The MSRP was $19.99 but I was able to find it for $14.88 at Meijer and I saw it for $14.99 at Wal-Mart.

Comments

They made a bigger mistake of not infusing "Market Forces" in the disc to show what is the end of Montana/Shocker and make it a real film like 88 minutes long (one episode alone is around 22 minutes long)

Heh, glad I have direct recordings from Kids WB (no deleted scene when showed on the channel I hope, is there any scene in the DVD that wasn't shown on TV?)

Your major blessing is that U pass watching 3 whole episodes without the annoying channel emblem that sometimes dances hola. Hope the next channel showing the show in its second season doesn't cut any scenes while showing the episode
Little bits and pieces weren't show on the TV viewings are on DVD. There's a few more seconds of Spidey dodging Electro's attacks with his first encounter with him.
Tommy said…
Some extended stuff and uncut sounds pretty spiffy.

I wonder what they could do if they made some sort of stand-alone DVD release, like Sub-Zero for the Batman Animated series.
They've actually made mention of going straight to DVD so they could do some of the more mature stories. But there's no green light for season 3 yet. Keep your fingers crossed.

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...