Skip to main content

Spidey vs. Juggy

It actually took me a few days to get around to reading some of the comics on The Amazing Spider-Man The Complete Collection DVD-ROM. After spending what seemed like an eternity to get it, you'd think I'd have read dozens of issues by now. Nope. All I've read are two issues.

Before I get into the two part story that I've read, I'd like to say a few things about this DVD-ROM collection. The comics on here are not reprints with touched up coloring. These are the original comics. That all the letter's pages, the original coloring, everything from the original comic has been reproduced here. The shuddering "Snap" next to Gwen's neck in Amazing Spider-Man #121? It's there. The original comics being burned on this disc, to me, shows that a lot of care went into making it.

As for the stories I read, when I first popped this disc in, I went straight to ASM #229, part one of Spidey's tussle with Juggernaut. Juggy is coming for Madam Web and even with all her power, she can't do a thing to stop him. So she calls Spider-Man to her aid but, big surprise, he can't do much either. Juggy yanks Madam Web from her life support system and she goes into convulsions. Madam Web is on the verge of death and Spidey isn't too happy about that. So he vows to stop the unstoppable "or die trying."


ASM #230 is a little more of the same, Spidey trying different methods to stop Juggy only this time on a much larger scale. He actually drives a tanker truck full of gasoline smack dab into Juggy and it doesn't even faze him, which brings me to why I like this story. No matter what Spider-Man did, he could not stop this guy. Juggernaut's power is that which cannot be stopped. Steel beams, trucks, the usual sneak attacks; nothing Spidey tried would work. He got so desperate that he jumped on Juggy's back, covered his eyes so he couldn't see where he was going, and Juggy stumbled into a 40 foot ditch of wet cement. It may have been pure, dumb luck, but in a fight like that, I'd gladly take it.

I was a little disappointed that this story didn't live up to my expectations. Don't get me wrong, I though this was a good story, I just didn't think it was great. The best aspect of this story is the message: never give up. Spidey hung in there to the bitter end and came out of it alive. Sometimes life craps on you and you just gotta hang in there, no matter what. This story sends that message loud and clear and for that reason, it's a winner in my book.

Comments

Tommy said…
Juggy remains trapped for some time, but since he doesn't need food, water, or air, he slowly gets out and survives. I think Marvel Team-Up #150 is when he's out and has Spidey messing with 2 Juggernauts (though at half the power).
MT #150 vol. 1 was the last issue and had Spidey teaming with the X-Men. Guess Juggy was there for a while.
A new box for the DVD, they changed the box type.

I love that arc, but I'm not a big fan of M.W since my introduction to her was through the 90s animated series which showed her like an annoying arrogant old goat who keeps fogging up Peter's mind, but I found her a much more likable person in the comics.

By the way; cool new design Reg, blue always was and will be my favorite color

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...