Skip to main content

Stoked

Someone was kind enough to post a scan of the upcoming villains for the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon. If you've been reading my blog, you probably know that I have been a huge fan of this cartoon since day one. The show just keeps hitting all the right notes and is quickly becoming my favorite Spider-Man cartoon.

Now that I know what the next few baddies will look like, what do I think?

Green Goblin: I'd actually seen a picture of the Goblin's action figure a few weeks ago and I despite my love for this show, I wasn't all that impressed with it. Seeing the above image of the Goblin didn't really make me sing a different tune at first, but I've recently come to welcome the more modernized design. He looks just as menacing as Spidey's greatest foe should be and I love the red eyes and open mouth on that glider. Alan Rachins has done a magnificent job as Norman Osborn, and I've no doubt he'll voice the Goblin just as well.

Rhino: He's never been all that smart, but Rhino still remains one of my favorite Spidey adversaries. With his design, I don't think there's really much room to go wrong. I mean, you've got a huge dude in a huge flippin' rhino suit. I was actually able to see him in action for a bit thanks to the promo on the Kids WB site (keep watching past the Tom & Jerry promo). As far as I'm concerned, they've already crushed the '90s Spider-Man: The Animated Series Rhino with this version and I will be glued to my TV come this Saturday at 10 AM.

Doc Ock: One of my top of the list Spidey villains, Doc Ock could share the no. 1 spot with the Green Goblin. The brown trench coat is obviously a nod to the very excellent Spider-Man 2 Doc Ock so I wholeheartedly approve of this design. I very pleased that they went with the chubby Doc Ock since we saw a muscular Ock in the '90s show. In both of his appearances in the show thus far, Dr. Octavious has been portrayed as a timid scientists, which I think is a very nice contrast as to what he'll later become. Some have actually made comments on forums that they couldn't believe that fat, timid scientist Adrian Toomes was threatening in the first episode would become Doc Ock. I think they'll be really surprised at what they do with him once he gets caught in a certain explosion.

As you can guess, I'm petty jazzed about the upcoming foes Spidey will face in The Spectacular Spider-Man. I'm pretty jazzed about the show in general. I can't wait for Mary Jane to show up, I want to see how Gwen deals with another girl fawning all over Peter, and the DVD releases for the first few episodes cannot get here soon enough. This cartoon is so full of awesome.

Comments

Reginald? Are you familiar with the three animated series prior to STAS?
If so; what is your opinion about them?
I'm more familiar with Spidey & His Amazing Friends than I am the '60s series or the solo '80s series. I love Spidey & His Amazing Friends. Got a healthy does of Spidey's regular foes and I enjoyed Peter having Firestar and Ice Man as his teammates. I've seen a few episodes of the '60s series and even though it is dated, I did like what I saw.
Tommy said…
I'm also curious with Ock's future demeanor.

I'm used to seeing him be pretty arrogant and condescending, so how he acts when he is truly Doctor Octopus will be quite interesting.


Perhaps even more interesting then that, will be how Norman is as the Green Goblin when he encounters some of the other villains as that he knew several of them already (Toomes and Octavius) or at least knows of them (Sandman and likely Rhino) through his funding of their creation.

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...