Skip to main content

Single Issue Comic Stories

One of the many trade paper backs I bought in 2007 was Batman: Detective. This trade contained five issues on Paul Dini's run on Detective Comics. For those of you that don't know, Paul Dini has worked on many of my favorite cartoons in the DCAU (DC Animated Universe) like Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, and Justice League Unlimited. Having this guy write one of DC's biggest icons had to be a no brainer for the company. But I digress.

As I read the stories in Batman: Detective I quickly realized that each story began and ended in the same issue. No single issue had anything to do with what came before it or what would follow it. As much as I like continuity, stories that start and finish in one book are quiet a treat. These days many writers are so busy trying to wow us with multi part story arcs. A good solo story has all but become extinct. I suppose that could be the of the primary reasons why I enjoy Marvel Adventures Spider-Man so much, even if children are the target audience.

I only picked up two comics at my comic shop this week. Hulk vs. Hercules, which was a one-shot story and Ultimate Spider-Man #121, which was a rarity for USM, a single story issue.

I like the Hulk. He speaks his mind, smashes things he doesn't like and he's probably the only dude in the Marvel universe that can pull off that purple pants look. Guy really knows how to party. Anyway, I figured the Hulk vs. Hercules book was basically gonna be a knock-down drag out fight all over town. There's only a few pages of Hulk & Herc going toe-to-toe but this is still a good read. In a nutshell, Hulk makes friends with some enemies of Herc. Herc kills Hulk's friends. Hulk leaves in despair.
I'm not reading the Hulk or Incredible Hercules, but someone on the Comic Book Resource forums pointed this out: the events in this story could be a setup for a future story. There's even a reprint of Tales of Suspense #79 in this one-shot, which shows the first time Hulk & Herc clashed. Even the original letters page has been repinted.

USM #121 brought back Omega Red (loser) and he was peeved at Jameson about some story he wrote on him. Long story short, Spidey fights Omega Red inside the Bugle, place gets wrecked, Peter gets his project baby that he was supposed to take care of for school charred in the battle that followed. Not the best from USM, but still a decent, funny read and I'd love to see Bendis do more single issue stories like these.

Comments

Tommy said…
Omega Red, eh?

Interesting.


The only time I've seen him and Spidey clash was in Marvel vs Capcom 2.
Omega Red appeared in the Silver Sable story arc in the numbered 80s issues. He got beaten in a few pages.
Tommy said…
Ah.

I've got a HUGE gap in my Ultimate Spidey collection.

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...