Skip to main content

Holy Moly

Yes, I do read stuff besides Spidey. I can't afford to pick up 30+ comics a week, but I do enjoy the limited selection that's on my file at my comic shop.

Anyway, a few months ago, I saw the first sisue of Billy Bastion and the Magic of Shazam! There was a single copy left and like an idiot, I didn't pick it up. After reading about the comic from Chris's Blog, I knew I should have picked it up. Sure enough, when I tried to find a copy of the first issue at my comic shop, they didn't have any. Thankfully, I didn't make the same misake when issue #2 came out a few weeks ago.

Billy Bastion & the Magic of Shazam! is written and drawn my Mike Kunkel. And if you're looking at this cover, or you've flipped through an issue and thought that it's a kid's book, you'd be right. Yes, it is a comic geared toward's kids, but so is Tiny Titans and Mini-Marvels and those comics are fantastic. Just because it's for kids doesn't mean adults won't enjoy it. If I were a betting man, I'd lay odds that The Magic of Shazam! was being purcahsed by more adults than it is kids.

Anyhoo, in issue #2, we learn that Billy and his sister Mary aren't the only ones that got powers from saying the magic word "Shazam." A 14 year old boy named Theo Adam was chosen as a champion and like Billy, he'd transform into a grown up version of himself, except he was called Black Adam. Problem was, Theo was more or less the opposite of Billy. Where Billy wants to do good, Theo wants to cause chaos and destruction. Fortunately, Theo can't remember the word that grants him his powers. However, that doesn't stop him harnessing the power from the statues of the Seven Deadly Evils of Man. These status now have physical forms and are following Theo's orders. Needless to stay, stuff is gonna hit the fan in issue #3.

This comic is highly recommended. I don't care if you're 5 or 50. Billy Bastion & the Magic of Shazam! is for comic readers of all ages. I will so be there when issue #3 drops.

Comments

Chris Sims said…
#1 is still available for reorder, if your comic shop is the kind that's nice enough to get it back in for you.
That actually did cross my mind. And my comic shop is cool like that.
Tommy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tommy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tommy said…
Foxxy Cleopatra: "Shazam!" *Punchies!*
With your hate of the current direction of Amazing Spider-Man and your previous posts it isn't impossible to believe you read more than Spider-Man.

Never read a Shazam (Captain Marvel) story before, couldn't see the appeal of his charcter, all I know about him is that he's a kid? How many captain Marvels appeared so far? So the kid says Shazam and tadaaah (Captain Marvel).

I said already I never read any of this guy's stories, what do you recommend for someone from outside this major?
Well I haven't read any of Mike Kunkel's other works, so I wouldn't know what to recommend.

But if you want to read another Captain Marvel story and not worry about tons of other history or continuity, I'd recommend Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil by Jeff Smith, author of the Bone comics. It's a four part mini series that gives us a modern take on Captain Marvel. Great for kids and adults.

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...