Skip to main content

Jealous Much, MJ?

Tommy Wilson, fellow SpiderFan.org writer and a frequent commenter on my blog presented some strips from the Amazing Spider-Man newspaper strip. These are actually more than 10 years old and I normally don't talk much about the strip here since another SpiderFan writer handles that pretty well, but I thought these warranted posting and talking about.

Posted above are a few strips where Mary Jane unleashes her fury on Peter on what is clearly romance of the one-sided kind in order to create a publicity stunt. Peter tells MJ this but it doesn't look like she really believes him. Looks like Ditko-Gwen possessed MJ because she's slapping the spit out of Peter. Now I've heard of overacting but MJ's behavior here is borderline psycho.
Get this woman some Valium. I know Stan was only trying to add romantic tension in the strip, but making MJ the hot tempered, crazy jealous wife is a bit much. Even though its really out of character for her to act that way, I think its really funny. Still, if Peter were the type to retaliate, it wouldn't be pretty. Normally isn't a good idea to abuse your spouse when said spouse can lift 10 tons.

Comments

Tommy said…
XD

That might be from 1995 or so. I still have to scan up the 'Great Parkerini', the least known of Spidey's alter-egos.
The story was written back in 1995?

I'm really pleased that an artist's art in that era wasn't contaminated by the McFarlane style. I think Todd McFarlane ruined the figure of Mary Jane Watson back then, and he ruined the look of the Spider-Man suit and webbing by making the eyes too big and the red part of the suit too webbed like.
In these older strips Peter doesn't look nearly as odd as he sometimes does today.

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...