Skip to main content

My First JLA TPB

I've been out of comics for a good while now. Its been months since I picked up an issue of Sonic the Hedgehog, Tiny Titans or Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. Money is still kinda tight and gaming has always been my first hobby love and given my declining interest in 32 page tales, it wasn't too difficult to cut back. However, I do still maintain a draw to comic books and getting discounts on trade paper backs does make it a bit more enticing to buy them in one of my favorite forms.

I had a craving for a Batman and Superman trade and there was so much of both too choose from. Then I spotted a few JLA books and realized that outside of the Death of Superman JLA tie-in issue, I hardly read any JLA stories. This is actually sorta surprising since Justice League/Justice League Unlimited is one of my all-time favorite cartoons. After much hesitation, I picked up JLA: The Greatest Stories Ever Told, which compiles various JLA stories from the silver age to the modern age.

Having read three of the eight stories in this book, I must say, it ain't too shabby. The first three tales shift League rotation membership and everyone gets a chance to shine, even Aquaman, who ends up being a key player in saving the heroes from Dr. Light in the third story, The Great Identity Crisis. I was surprised to see that Snapper Carr was an honorary League member much in the same way Rick Jones was for the Avengers in the earlier days. There's a story where Snapper betrays the League thanks both in part to the Joker who is in disguise and his own doubts of the League, feeling inferior to the heroes because he has no super powers. I find it of particular interest that he seemed to either forget or didn't mention that two members in the League, Batman and Green Arrow, have no super powers and that should have provided him some sort of stability but it looks like Mr. Carr chose fear over reason. Its a tale that leaves you something to think about when all is said and done and that's always a plus in my book.

JLA: Greatest Stories Ever Told may not rank among my personal favorite TPBs but it's still a fun read and I look forward to finishing it and picking up other JLA trades sometime in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...