Skip to main content

DVD Haul

Yeah, I'm still buying DVDs when Blu-Ray is all the rage. You wanna make something of it? I digress. While I usually stick to games for my entertainment, like anyone else, I enjoy a good flick or animated series. As I've said before, my interest in comics has waned considerably and continues to do so. Amazing Spider-Man continues to be an unfunny Joke, the changes and constant renumbering/relaunching of Ultimate Spider-Man are aggravating, and with DC's we're-not-calling-it-a-reboot-but-it-really-is-a-reboot-of-nearly-the-whole-DC-comics-brand announcement last week, it's that much easier to stick to animation when I want to get my super hero fix.


I was a huge fan of Grant Morrison's 12 issue run of All-Star Superman. The blend of retro elements from past Superman stories with more modern material made for one of my favorite stories I've ever read about big blue. The animated film version was written by Dwayne McDuffie, a huge contributor to the DCAU's Justice League Unlimited, one of my all-time favorite cartoons. Sadly Mr. McDuffie passed away one day before All-Star Superman hit the shelves back in February. I still can't believe he's gone and I may get teary eyed when I watch those creator's segments on my Justice League DVDs since I'm in the middle of watching the DCAU all over again. Since this was one of his last works, I figured I owed to myself to pick it up. I never met the man, but from what I've read and heard, in addition to be a superb creative talent, he was an all around nice guy. R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie.











As much flack as Jeph Loeb gets these days, he did turn out some fine stories before he lost his creative steam and even some after that. I actually enjoyed his Public Enemies arc on Superman/Batman when I read the trade back in 2007. I thought the animate version of Superman/Batman: Public Enemies was even better than the comic it was based off of. Heck, even Jeph and artist Ed Guinness called Bruce Timm and co and told them they loved the film. If I recall the next arc after that one had something to do with Superman discovering Supegirl. I never did read that one but since I dug Loeb's first Superman/Batman story, I figure I may enjoy this animated version. That and and my brother-in-law told me it was awesome.



I'm ashamed to admit that I was not sold on Batman: The Brave and the Bold when I'd first seen what the art would look like. It was already clear that it would not be like that Batman of the DCAU, but when I caught the Christmas episode, Invasion of the Secret Santas!, that was all it took to convince me. I later found out that some of the same creative minds of the DCAU worked on The Brave and the Bold. Seeing Batman team up with and fight some pretty obscure characters from the DC world and Batman's history is pretty cool and I rather like the art style, which has a Jack Kirby feel to it. Neil Patrick Harris singing as the Music Meister in the musical episode, Mayhem of the Music Meister is the worth the price of admission alone. Considering what a box set of 13 episodes will cost you these days, I think $14.99 for both parts of season one is pretty good. I'm kinda bummed that there are no extras on these DVDs, but with over 600 minutes and 26 episodes of campy Batman goodness, do I really need more to watch?


I have yet to see a Hayao Miyazaki anime film that I didn't like. I haven't seen everything he's done, but what I've seen, I've really enjoyed. Kiki's Delivery Service is a movie I've been wanting to check out for a some time now. Every time I go to Best Buy I always walk by it, pick it up, look it over, put it back and go on about my business. Well I finally made part of my collection and it's actually the first Miyazaki film I own (everything else I've seen by the man was owned by friends). I think my nieces may like it too so I'm gonna try to sit down and look at it with them on Friday if they aren't out and about.

Comments

All Star Superman is a fun feature, too bad I haven't read the novel

You read All Star Batman & Robin? Superman is there, but it's just a different universe

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...