Skip to main content

Dragon Ball Z: Got Milk?

DBZ his a very popular anime, but you already know that. From VHS to DVDs and remastered DVD box sets, the series has seen multiple releases. The Funimation Remastered Box Sets
should have been the last of the DVDs that a DBZ fan would have to buy. Each box set contains over 30 episodes, is remastered and in 16:9. (you'd be surprised how many people bemoaned the cropping among other things), the option for English or Japanese voices, the option to watch in either language and mix up the American and Japanese soundtracks in your viewing, and only run you $34.99. Not a bad deal. All nine seasons are DBZ are available in this format. So that should be all the DBZ you need, right? You should be done buying DBZ DVDs, right?

And shortly after season nine dropped Funimation announces plans to release the Dragon Boxes. What are the Dragon Boxes? These were originally released by Toei in Japan of 2003 and where Japanese viewers chance to finally own the series on DVD, thought it was limited through preoders. Also, the viewing frames are in 4:3, the original viewing format, and the remastering is even higher than that of Funimation's Remastered Box Sets.

You may be asking "Why didn't Funimation just release this to begin with?!" Well, they had to go through Toei to do that and they just wouldn't have it at first, but that's now a thing of the past. The Funimation Dragon Boxes will be released in 7 volumes. Now here's the real kicker. While Funi's Remastered Box Sets only ran you $34.99 with over 30 episodes each, the Dragon Boxes will go for $79.99 ($55.99 in some places) with roughly 40 episodes per volume. Let me say that again in case you missed it. The Dragon Boxes are going to cost even more than the Funi Remastered Boxes. That's basically even more money for one season. Oh, but you get better remastered quality and full screen. Call me crazy, but I think that's a ripoff.

The messed up thing is, some fans are so hardcore and just have to have their stuff in perfect quality that they will shell out the cash for this without thinking twice about it. I mean, if you've got a disposable income, than that's great, but even if I still did have that kinda money, that's some bait I don't think I'd bite.

"But it's the definitive DBZ experience!" Yeah, sure it is, until Dragon Ball Kai gets a DVD release. What's Dragon Ball Kai? It's DBZ with much clear, smoother animation and coloring. Oh and much of the filler is removed. On episode 29, Vegeta has already teamed up with Krillin and Gohan to oppose the Ginyu Force. Where as DBZ was originally 291 episodes, DB Kai is looking to be around 100 episodes or so. So after you buy the Dragon Boxes and Kai shows up on DVD, how screwed over are you going to feel?

Hey, I love DBZ as much as the next guy, but there comes a time when a guy has gotta send a message to the money grubbers in charge and let them know they can't keep milking things like a cow. Poor Betsy is screaming for mercy.

Comments

Carlos Abdu said…
Betsy crying for mercy?

Betsy hasn't cried in years: Betsy's been milked to death. The only reason she still lives is that she is hooked up to the DBZ Money machine; The only mercy the old girl needs is a mercy killing...or a cool remake that brings back the OG Dragonball goodness before it became "The Saiyan Show"

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...