Skip to main content

Secret Wars II Omnibus is Coming

The original Secret Wars mini series was initially made to sell action figures, much like Gi-Joe and Transformers were in the 1980s. That being said, I greatly enjoyed Secret Wars. I picked up the trade paper back in 2005 and although I wasn't impressed with the first two issues, issues 3 kicked the whole series into high gear and I was sold.

There are a lot of good moments in Secret Wars to go along with the overall story. Spider-Man making the X-Men look like scrubs. Spidey taking on Titania and humbling her. Hulk holding up a 150 billion ton mountain to keep the heroes from getting crushed. And of course, who can forget Spidey's black, alien costume?

I've never read Secret Wars II, but I've been told it isn't as good as the original. Some say the tie-ins are better than the actual story and there were a lot of tie-ins to this series, making it even longer than the original Secret Wars. Of all the omnibus books Marvel could release its kinda strange that Secret Wars II is seeing the light of day before vol. 2 of the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus.

I don't know too much about Secret Wars II, but I know a few things of particular interest. When the Beyonder turned a building into solid gold, Spidey got a gold notepad out of it. Spidey also had to teach the Beyonder how to use the restroom. I found out the later just a few days ago so if nothing else, I'll try to find that issue.

As of now, I'm still on the fence or whether I should eventually plunk down the cash for this one.

Comments

Tommy said…
I've got the main series and several of the crossover issues (I'm a crossover collection freak, albeit the glut is crazy as of late).

I'm not sure what I'd recommend. While it might provide some bit of education, know that the Beyonder has been retconned horribly into being an Inhuman (in the Illuminati comic), which cheapens the whole thing on a lot of levels. Depending on the cost and how curious you are, I'll let you make the call.


Regardless, the most memorable crossover issues (off the top of my head) are Daredevil #223, Amazing Spider-Man #274, The Incredible Hulk #312, and Fantastic Four #285.

The DD issue has the Beyonder giving Matt his eyesight back, while the Fantastic Four issue shows the Human Torch dealing with the fact that a kid tried to impersonate him by lighting himself on fire.

While the concept might be okay with the FF story, knowing that the Beyonder could easily heal the boy makes it a bit iffy. It could be argued it would make light of the situation, but ehhh, it would be business as usual for the Beyonder.

The Spidey story is insanely ironic due to OMD. In this story, Spidey has to save the Kingpin or else the multiverse is doomed (Spidey doesn't know this though). Mephisto is banking on Spider-Man stopping the Kingpin's assassination. The Beyonder sends in Zarathos to stop Spidey and Spidey takes Hellfire like a champ. I forget if I ever showed you the scans I did of that moment. Spidey succeeding gives the Multiverse one more day of survival.


Last, the Hulk story.

This one goes into Bruce's childhood, his abusive father, and the death of his parents. However, this story is not entirely accurate. Hulk -1 shows what really happens between Bruce and his father. Since that won't be in the omnibus, or the crossover issue itself, I'll tell you here.


When Bruce and his father are at the grave of Mrs. Banner, his father attacks him and Bruce defends himself with a kick to his father's head. However, his dad falls badly on a gravestone and dies. Due to the fear of his father's ghost, this is why the Hulk can see Dr. Strange's astral form, which is supposed to be something you normally can't see.
rjsodaro said…
One other part of Secret Wars that you may not know is that part of the pitch to the toy company for the new SW action figures was that when then EiC Jim Shooter made the pitch the toy company was not so interested in the license, as the characters were the same as the ones they already had, and the market was a bit sluggish.

Shooter’s comeback was that if they didn’t sign on, they would miss out on Spidey’s new costume. Needless to say, this was such a big deal, that they immediately inked the deal. Shooter then returned to the Marvel offices, and reportedly said “We have to design a new costume for Spidey.”

Yep, Spidey’s black costume was purely a marketing ploy to sell toys. Funny stuff, eh?
I've got ASM #274. Good read.

Spidey black duds was just designed to sell toys? Funny!!
The "Secret WarsII" really isn't as enjoyable as the original, but it still is awswom.

The Beyonder's learning trip is one of the best stories I read since my beginning of going to IronMan

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P Mickey Mouse

In case you haven't heard , Wayne Allwine, the voice actor of Mickey Mouse passed away at the age of 62. He had been voice the world's most famous mouse since 1977. The original voice actor for Mickey was Walt Disney himself. Allwine's imitation of Disney's voice was spot on. Most of the the Mickey Mouse cartoons I've seen were voiced by Allwine. 'Tis a sad day in cartoon history. R.I.P, Wayne Allwine.

The Adventures of Spiderchibi

More here .

Spider-Haul!

My tax rebate check (finally) came in the mail and after setting some of the green aside for bills, I decided I'd treat myself. Went to my comic shop and snagged myself some cool Spider-Man goodies. I was thinking I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man #247 to further complete my issues for Roger Stern's run. God must have really smiled on me because when I was looking through the back issue boxes for said comic, I found a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #248, which has the highly praised side story, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. And I was just talking about this story a few weeks ago. Go figure. This could be my Spidey biased kicking in, but I've always loved Black Cat more than Catwoman. Don't get me wrong, I like Selina Kyle and her feline alter ego. In fact, she stared in one of my favorite mini series, Selina's Big Score, but I find Felicia Hard to be a more interesting character. Be it the sexual tension between her and Spidey, or her simply being a good friend and ...